It’s getting hot in central Texas, and the open road is calling your name. If you’re planning a trip out of town this summer, we've got some important home safety procedures to add to your to-do list before you go!
Your lists may already include preparing your belongings to be packed, ensuring your pets have proper sitters, asking your neighbor to stop by to water your plants, etc., but one thing that may not be on your list is preparing your home’s security system. Burglars are most attracted to homes that do not have a home security system, but only 17% of houses have a system in place.*
So enjoy those moments away uninterrupted by adding these home security precautions and home security system to your pre-vacation checklist.
- Ask your neighbor, friend, or pet sitter to house sit for you. Consider a digital keypad to eliminate the worry about keeping a key under the doormat.
- If you’re renting out your home while you're gone, consider getting some security cameras to keep an eye on your house while your away. A doorbell camera can help you see who’s coming and going from your house, and other security cameras can be pointed at sensitive areas such as a gun closet, safe, etc. Chat with us about what type of cameras would benefit you and where you should be placing them.
- Refrain from posting about your vacation plans on social media, you never know who could be watching your newsfeeds!
- If you suffer from separation anxiety from your pet, install a doggie camera and keep them in your pocket at all times! Doggie cameras can be installed at various areas of your house, such as feeding areas, play areas, etc., and will help you ensure that your furry friend is being taken care of while you're away. There are even doggie camera models that allow you to interact with your pets from remote locations!
We all have daily mantras like “cell phone, keys, wallet”, but that daily mantra gets significantly longer the day you’re leaving for your vacation. Here is a vacation day-of checklist to make sure your home is good to go:
- Set lights on timers, or leave a few of them on
- Set A/C to a neutral temperature
- Ensure all doors, including garage door, are locked
- Arm your alarm(s)
- Make sure any sensitive spaces, closets, safes, etc., are locked
- Make sure home keys for sitters are handed out, or placed in secure locations
- Make sure all windows are closed and locked
Hard Target systems offers a wide range of security options, from 24/7 home monitoring, to remote control of your home through iPhone and Android apps! This summer make your home and your belongings a hard target by reaching out to one of our home security specialists, and finding the personalized security equipment that best fits your needs.
*According to Alarm.com