Most of the time there is nothing to worry about, but you should always be on the lookout for danger. Even at home, you could find yourself in an unsafe situation. You may be targeted by markings around your house to signify how easy or beneficial it would be to rob you. Prevent your home from becoming a target by being aware when something looks out of place and understand these signs and know what they mean.
Regardless on what the signs are, if you do see a sign, be extra vigilant around your house. Call the police if you see these signs around a residential area, especially if you see the “wealthy,” “good target,” or “vulnerable female” signs. The police will send out officers trained to deal with and remove the signs.
Prevent Yourself from Becoming a Target
Fortunately, you can take steps to prevent yourself from becoming a target. Below are some good practices for protecting your home and your property:
- Don’t keep valuables by windows.
- Keeping your valuables out of plain sight as much as possible to avoid giving potential burglars a chance to easily scope out your home.
- Keep your curtains and blinds drawn.
- Especially when it gets dark outside makes it nearly impossible for would-be thieves to see inside.
- Lock your windows.
- Keeping windows locked cuts off an access point for burglars. Keep your windows extra secure by purchasing window stops or wedges or sensors on the windows that give you a text whenever it is opened.
- Don’t let people inside your home.
- If a person knocks on your door, go outside to talk with them instead of letting them in or standing with your front door open. This person may be trying to scope out your house.
- Invest in a doorbell camera.
- With a doorbell camera, you are able to see who is at your front door, no matter where you are. You can also talk to the person outside your door. This is a great way to ward off intruders.
Stay vigilant and stay aware of your surroundings at all times - these skills can keep you from becoming a target. If you’re not home, no worries, having strong security system can help keep your home safe. Security cameras, doorbell cameras, alarm systems, and more keep your home as secure as possible. Call us for more information about which security systems would best fit you and your family’s needs. Secure your home today.